The York County School Board has narrowed down its list of names being considered to fill the seat left vacant by the death of Page Minter last month.
Four of the nine people who applied to fill the District 4 seat have made the last cut before the school board chooses Minter’s successor, and residents can offer their opinions on who should fill the seat at a public hearing at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in York Hall.
The four people under consideration are:
- Wanda Fralick, who is employed as the development coordinator for Housing Partnerships Inc., and has previously served as a projects coordinator for York County’s Community Services Special Programs. She is also a former educational consultant with Hampton Roads Educational Consulting.
- Todd Mathes, who is a program analyst with Langley Air Force Base. He currently serves as chairman of the York County Planning Commission, representing District 4. Mathes was first appointed to the Planning Commission in October 2012, and was appointed as the board’s chairman in July 2015.
- James “Jimmy” Richardson, who recently retired from York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office at the rank of captain. He currently works as a government contractor for the U.S. Marshals.
- Stephen Roane, a senior technical director with AT&T who lost to Minter in the November 2015 election. Minter took in more than 56 percent of the ballots cast, with Roane losing by 431 votes. Roane is also an active volunteer in youth sports.
Neither the school board nor York County School Division released the full list of initial applicants.
The school board will announce who it has chosen to fill the District 4 seat at a special meeting May 19, which is the latest the board can fill the seat before the option shifts to the York-Poquoson Circuit Court.
- York Residents Can Speak on District 4 School Board Appointment
- York School Board to Vet Nine District 4 Applicants
- York School Board Accepting Candidates for Vacant Seat
- York School Board to Discuss Options for Vacant Seat
- Page Minter Remembered As Kind, Caring Public Servant
- Special Election Set to Fill John Miller’s Senate Seat
- Grafton High to Host Memorial Service for Page Minter
- York County School Board Member Page Minter Dies at 69