Sunday, August 7, 2022

Man to Serve 12 Years for Fatal DUI Hit-and-Run

Kevin Anthony Boone (Courtesy Virginia State Police)
Kevin Anthony Boone (Courtesy Virginia State Police)

A York County man admitted the prosecution had sufficient evidence to prove his guilt in a drunken hit-and-run that killed 23-year-old Alyssa Rhoades and severely injured a man who was walking with her along George Washington Memorial Highway last year.

Kevin Anthony Boone, 57, entered into a plea agreement with the York County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office Tuesday, a day before his jury trial was scheduled to begin.

The agreement dropped four of the charges against him in exchange for three Alford pleas, which had Boone admit the evidence would likely persuade the jury of his guilt but he asserts his innocence.

York-Poquoson Circuit Court Judge Richard Rizk accepted the plea agreement, finding Boone guilty of hit-and-run, aggravated involuntary manslaughter and maiming by DUI – all felonies.

Rizk sentenced Boone to the maximum 35-year prison sentence – 20 years for aggravated involuntary manslaughter, 10 years for hit-and-run and five years for maiming – but suspended all but 12 years of the manslaughter sentence. Boone will be on probation for no more than 35 years and must remain drug- and alcohol-free. His driver’s license has been revoked indefinitely.

The prosecution dropped the charges for operating a vehicle with a revoked license, involuntary manslaughter, second-degree murder, and DWI-related manslaughter.

York-County Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Jeremy Markle said Boone had been drinking in various York County locations on Feb. 1, 2015 before he drove himself and friends to a Super Bowl party in Colonial Mobile Home Court off the 6300 block of George Washington Memorial Highway in Yorktown.

Rhoades and the injured man, both of whom attended the same Super Bowl party, left the party around 9:30 p.m. and began walking along George Washington Memorial Highway. Boone left the party around 9:50 p.m., driving his mother’s car after drinking about 16 beers and several shots of liquor. He drove in the same direction Rhoades and her friend walked.

As Rhoades and her friend approached the highway’s intersection with Grafton Drive, they were struck by a car from behind. The driver did not stop; instead, the driver of a tractor-trailer spotted their bodies on the ground, pulled over and called 911.

Rhoades died of her injuries on Feb. 6, 2015; the injured man, who lived on the same property as Boone, has mostly recovered, Markle said.

Virginia State Police investigators began questioning Boone after a woman who drove the injured man home after his hospital stay spotted Boone’s damaged car – the windshield was “essentially concave,” Markle said – on the property.

Investigators found the windshield wipers and glass found at the scene of the crash, as well as paint found on Rhoades’ clothing, were a match for Boone’s car.

“You have 23 years that are hanging over your head,” Rizk said to Boone. “You don’t want to come back to me or any other judge with a violation.”

Related Coverage:

Related Articles