The Yorktown Victory Center is providing a first glance at what visitors can expect to see when the museum transforms into the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown next year.
A new exhibit will provide a “multimedia, interactive encounter with the permanent exhibition galleries and introductory film” that will premiere with the revamped museum, according to a recent news release from the Victory Center.
Progress on the new museum has already been well underway with the construction and completion of the new 80,000-square-foot building in March of this year. The new galleries will occupy 22,000-square-feet within the new building.
About 24 objects that will be featured in the galleries have been selected for the “Creating Our New Museum” display, along with a video preview of future gallery short films.
Notable selections include two portraits of important historical figures, several period swords and firearms and a number of American-made furniture and silver objects from the Revolutionary era.
Visitors to “Creating Our New Museum” will not only get a preview of the kinds of objects that will be on display in the new iteration of the museum but also a behind-the-scenes look at the making of “Liberty Fever,” the new introductory film that will be shown in the museum’s theater.
“Creating Our New Museum” is located in space that will become the special exhibition gallery at the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown. The exhibit is open daily from 9 a.m to 5 p.m and admission is free for residents of James City County, York County and the City of Williamsburg.
More information about the transformation from the Yorktown Victory Center to the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown can be found here.
- Focus Groups: New Yorktown Museum Should Tell Personal Stories
- Fundraising Campaign Seeks $15 Million for Yorktown’s American Revolution Museum
- Yorktown Victory Center Moves to New 80,000-Square-Foot Building (w/ Photos)
- Yorktown’s New Revolution Museum Boasts More Hands-On, Active Experience
- York County to Contribute $1 Million to Fund American Revolution Museum Operations
- TowneBank Gives $250,000 for American Revolution Museum at Yorktown
- JYF Board Gets a Peek at Planned Outdoor Area for the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown (w/ Video)
- JYF Names New Curator for American Revolution Museum
- JYF Working Toward Filling Exhibits at American Revolution Museum at Yorktown
- Cornerstone Dedicated for American Revolution Museum at Yorktown (w/ Video)
- American Revolution Museum at Yorktown, Jamestown Settlement Get New Logos
- Exhibit Previews American Revolution Museum at Yorktown
- Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation Hires Media Curator for Revolution Museum
- American Revolution Museum at Yorktown Receives Challenge Grant
- JYF Board Gets Update on Museum Construction, Student Visitation, Plan for Logos
- Yorktown Victory Center Makeover Starts This Month