A York County man is dead after a Thursday afternoon fire at his residence that started from unattended cooking.
Lt. Dennis Ivey of the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office said 57-year-old Steve P. Geiger died later that day and that no foul play is suspected in his death. The fire happened at a single-story residence at 710 York-Warwick Drive.
Capt. Paul Long of the York County Department of Fire and Life Safety said a call came in of heavy smoke coming from the residence shortly after 2 p.m. Thursday. Crews arrived on scene within minutes where they found heavy smoke pouring out of all of the windows and the roof of the house.
Emergency personnel conducted a search of the home’s interior, where they found Geiger unconscious. The fire was under control within 15 minutes of their arrival, with the home suffering moderate to severe heat and smoke damage. Two cats died in the fire.
No emergency personnel were hurt fighting the fire. Geiger was the only person inside the house.