REGIONAL — Welcome to On the Road! This column will have your weekly lane closures and roadwork reports for this coming week.
The list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
NOTE: This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures southbound Dec. 28 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown Tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64 Denbigh Boulevard Bridge Replacement Project, Newport News
- Double-lane closures with brief, intermittent stoppages on I-64 east and west at the Denbigh Boulevard overpass Dec. 27 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on the off-ramp from I-64 west to I-664 south (exit 264A) Dec. 27-29 from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- For a full list of ongoing traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page:64highrise.org/news_and_traffic_alerts/lane_closures.asp
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between I-664 north/Route 13/Route 58 (exit 299) and Shell Road (overpass) on Dec. 27-29 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Interstate 264 (I-264)
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Ongoing shift to the left of the flyover from I-64 west to mainline I-264 east (inside set) at the bridge over Kempsville road, reducing mainline I-264 east by one lane in this location, remaining in place through early 2022.
- Ongoing single-lane closure on the I-264 east collector-distributor road (outside set) at Newtown Road (exit 15), remaining in place through late December.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) Dec. 27-29 as early as 9 p.m. until 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange Dec. 27-29 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages on I-264 west from Military Highway (exit 13A/B) to Tidewater Drive (exit 10) Dec. 28-30 from 3-3:30 a.m.
Interstate 664 (I-664)
- Alternating, single-lane closures on the off-ramp from I-664 north to I-64 east (exit 1B) Dec. 27-29 from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on the off-ramp from I-664 north to I-64 west (exit 1A) Dec. 27-29 from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Other Notable Closures
Laskin Road, Virginia Beach:
- Ongoing closure of a portion of Fremac Drive. Click here for the full traffic alert:https://conta.cc/3CNIOFi