Welcome to On the Road! This column will have your weekly lane closures and roadwork reports for this coming week!
The list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
NOTE: This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Single-lane closure eastbound Sept. 20 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures westbound Sept. 24 from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel, I-664:
- Mobile, single-lane closures southbound Sept. 21-22 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures northbound:
- Sept. 19 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Sept. 20-23 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
High Rise Bridge, I-64:
- Brief, intermittent stoppages in both directions Sept. 19 from 6-6:30 a.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264:
- Brief, intermittent stoppages westbound Sept. 19 from 3-6 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures:
- Southbound Sept. 20 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Northbound Sept. 23 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown Tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Newman Road (exit 234) in Lightfoot to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed Sept. 19-23 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive west of Route 199/Lightfoot (exit 234) Sept. 22-24, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199/Newman Road west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199/Newman Road to follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199/Newman Road east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- For a full list of ongoing traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page: 64highrise.org/news_and_
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Sept. 20-23 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Sept. 24 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Sept. 25 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Sept. 26 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Closure of northbound Military Highway at the I-64 overpass Sept. 19-20 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/3A2SQAY
I-64, Newport News:
- Intermittent stoppages in both directions from Yorktown Road (exit 247) to Fort Eustis Boulevard (exit 250A/B) Sept. 18-19 from 6-11 a.m. and 3-7 p.m. Click here for full release from Dominion Energy: https://www.virginiadot.org/
VDOT/Travel/Travel_Alerts/ Hampton_Roads/asset_upload_ file252_55256.pdf
I-64, Express Lanes:
- Full closure in both directions Sept. 21-25 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Full ramp closure from Northampton Boulevard north (Route 13) to I-64 east Sept. 19-23 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure from Northampton Boulevard south (Route 13) to I-64 east and west Sept. 19-23 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure I-64 east at Northampton Boulevard (exit 282A) Sept. 19-23 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Interstate 264 (I-264)
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) Sept. 19-25 from 7 p.m. until as late as 10 a.m.
- Consecutive, double-lane closure on I-264 west between Witchduck Road (exit 16) and Newtown Road (exit 15) from Sept. 24 at 7 p.m. to Sept. 27 at 5 a.m.
- Consecutive, single-lane closure on I-264 east from the Greenwich Road flyover to Witchduck Road (exit 16) in place through Sept. 24. Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/3tuuI7L
- Closure with detour of both directions of Newtown Road at the I-264 interchange on Sept. 18 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange Sept. 19-26 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Interstate 564 (I-564)
- Consecutive, double-lane closures on I-564 west between the I-64 west interchange and Terminal Boulevard:
- Starting Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. through Sept. 20 at 4 a.m.
- Starting Sept. 24 at 7 p.m. through Sept. 27 at 4 a.m.