Welcome to On the Road! This column will have your weekly lane closures and roadwork reports for this coming week!
The list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
NOTE: This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Single-lane closure westbound Aug. 15 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure eastbound Aug. 16-17 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound Aug. 19 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel, I-664:
- Alternating, single-lane closures:
- Northbound Aug. 16-20 starting as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Southbound Aug. 18 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown Tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed Aug. 15-19 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
For a full list of ongoing traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page: 64highrise.org/news_and_
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Aug. 16-19 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Aug. 20 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Aug. 21 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Aug. 22 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Express Lanes:
- Full closure both directions:
- Aug. 17 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Aug. 19 from 11 a.m. to noon.
Interstate 264 (I-264)
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) Aug. 15-22 from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east near the I-264 interchange Aug. 15-21 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic shift of the I-264 east collector-distributor lanes (outside set) at Newtown Road, with lanes shifted to the left, as early as Aug. 16.
- Consecutive, multi-lane closure on I-264 east between Newtown Road (exit 15) and Witchduck Road (exit 16) from Aug. 20 at 10 p.m. to Aug. 23 at 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/3lZqrYh
Interstate 564 (I-564)
- Double-lane closures on I-564 west from I-64 to Terminal Boulevard Aug. 13 at 7 p.m. to Aug. 15 at 4 a.m.