Welcome to On the Road! This column will have your weekly lane closures and roadwork reports for this coming week!
The list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
NOTE: This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures eastbound Aug. 11-12 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound Aug. 11 from 11 p.m. to 9 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel, I-664:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures southbound Aug. 9-10 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions Aug. 10-11 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions Aug. 8-12 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown Tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Newman Road (exit 234) in Lightfoot to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed Aug. 8-12 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive near Bruton High School Aug. 9, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199/Newman Road west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199/Newman Road to follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199/Newman Road east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- For a full list of ongoing traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page: 64highrise.org/news_and_
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Aug. 9-12 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Aug. 13 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Aug. 14 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Aug. 15 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Closure with detour of Military Highway between the I-64 on- and off-ramps from as early as 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. on:
- Aug. 8-9 – southbound
- Aug. 10 – northbound
- Double-lane closures on I-64 east between I-264 and the Twin Bridges Aug. 5-8 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., including intermittent stoppages.
- Double-lane closures on I-64 west and single-lane closure on I-64 east between Greenbrier Parkway north (exit 289 A) and Greenbrier Parkway south (exit 289 B) Aug. 11-12 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., including intermittent stoppages.
I-64 Express Lanes:
- Full closure both directions:
- Aug. 8 from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Aug. 9 from 9-11:30 a.m. and from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Aug. 10 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Aug. 11 from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Aug. 12 from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.
Interstate 264 (I-264)
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) Aug. 8-14 from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m.
- Alternating, triple-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) Aug. 13-14, with two or more lanes closed no earlier than 10 p.m. and as late as 10 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east near the I-264 interchange Aug. 8-14 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic shift of the I-264 east collector-distributor lanes (outside set) at Newtown Road, with lanes shifted to the left, as early as Aug. 10.
Interstate 564 (I-564)
- Consecutive, double-lane closures on I-564 west between the I-64 west interchange and Terminal Boulevard:
- Starting Aug. 13 at 7 p.m. through Aug. 16 at 4 a.m.
Other Notable Closures
Route 17, Carrollton:
- Consecutive full closure on Route 17 south (Carrollton Boulevard) at Route 258 (Brewers Neck Boulevard) Aug. 7-8 from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/3lvdjd7