Welcome to On the Road! This column will have your weekly lane closures and roadwork reports for this coming week!
The list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
NOTE: This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Single-lane closure eastbound July 26-29 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure westbound July 27 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel:
- Single-lane closure northbound July 31 from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
James River Bridge
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions July 27-30 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
High Rise Bridge
- Brief, intermittent stoppages in both directions July 25 from 4-7 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound July 29 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown Tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64, Newport News:
- Intermittent stoppages in both directions between Fort Eustis Boulevard (exit 250) and Route 238/Lee Hall (exit 247) July 25 from 5-9 a.m.
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Newman Road (exit 234) in Lightfoot to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed July 25-29 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Consecutive, single-lane closure on I-64 east between Route 143 (exit 238) and Route 199 (exit 242) from 5 a.m. July 26 until 5 a.m. July 30. Two lanes are scheduled to remain open to traffic during this work.
- Full ramp closure on I-64 east off-ramp to Route 143 (exit 238) starting as early as July 26 from 9 p.m. until as late as 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages to shift traffic to the right side of the Newman Road/Route 199 on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot starting as early as July 25 between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpasses July 26, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.:
- west of Route 199 (exit 234) on July 26
- east of Route 199 (exit 234) near Great Wolf Lodge on July 29
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199/Newman Road west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199/Newman Road to follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199/Newman Road east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- For a full list of ongoing traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page: 64highrise.org/news_and_
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- July 26-29 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- July 30 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- July 31 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Aug. 1 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Closure with detour of Military Highway between the I-64 on- and off-ramps from as early as 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- July 25 – northbound and southbound
- July 26 – northbound and southbound
- July 27 – northbound
- July 28 – southbound
- July 29 – northbound
- July 30 – southbound
- Aug. 1 – southbound
- Aug. 2 – southbound
- Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/
I-64 Express Lanes
- Full closure in both directions July 26 from 9-11:30 a.m.
Interstate 264 (I-264)
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) July 25-31 from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m.
- Alternating, triple-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) July 30-31, with two or more lanes closed no earlier than 10 p.m. and as late as 10 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange July 25-31 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Interstate 564 (I-564)
- Consecutive, double-lane closures on I-564 west between the I-64 west interchange and Terminal Boulevard:
- Starting July 23 at 7 p.m. through July 26 at 4 a.m.
- Starting July 30 at 7 p.m. through Aug. 2 at 4 a.m.
Other Notable Closures
Laskin Road Widening and Bridge Replacement Project:
- Closure with detour of a portion of Winwood Drive at eastbound Laskin Road (on the south side of Laskin Road) July 27 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/3zoxkpn
- New traffic pattern implemented east of the bridge over Linkhorn Bay, as early as July 26. Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/2UvnzHu