HAMPTON ROADS — On Tuesday, July 6, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) released a statement providing summer guidance for local motorists regarding the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) Expansion Project
Throughout tourism season, VDOT is expecting an increase of traffic throughout the region. However, the HRBT Expansion Project may cause changes to road patterns that motorists will need to be aware of.
“The summer construction season also coincides with summer vacations. Over 100,000 vehicles travel through the HRBT Tunnel daily at the peak of the summer season,” said Jim Utterback, Project Director for the HRBT Expansion Project. “It is important to be aware of work zones to improve safety for motorists and workers.”
According to the statement by VDOT, motorists should have the expectation for lane shifts, detours, and lane closures throughout the day and night throughout the summer.
The areas in which construction will be taking place include: widening projects on Interstate 64 (I-64) bridges including W. Evans Street in Norfolk, Mallory Street Bridge over I-64 in Hampton, and work on both the North and South islands in preparation for the arrival of Mary, the Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM).
RELATED STORY: HRBT Expansion Project Reaches New Milestone
The HRBT Expansion Project will widen I-64 near Settlers Landing Road in Hampton as well as at the Interstate 564 (I-564) Interchange in Norfolk. Twin two-lane tunnels will be bored, new marine trestle bridges will be added, as well as the widening of bridges and roadways along a ten mile stretch of I-64.
The goal of the project is to be able to increase capacity, encourage safety, ease current traffic congestion concerns, and aid in boosting regional tourism.
Each Saturday, WYDaily publishes a regular column called On the Road, which brings to you the latest information on roadwork in the area. To make sure that you never miss it, please sign up for our email newsletter by clicking here: WYDaily’s Morning Newsletter.
Additionally, VDOT has several different ways to check roadwork in the area:
- VDOT’s 511: Check out 511 online, download the app for your phone, or call before leaving home.
- HRBT Expansion Project Weekly Lane Closure Report: Visit the project webpage to view the lane closures taking place during the week. Signup to receive the Weekly Lane Closure report directly in your email inbox.
- HRBT Expansion Project Tow Service: Tow services provided by the design-builder, Hampton Roads Connector Partners (HRCP), are strategically located to clear traffic incidents or disabled vehicles.
- HRBT Expansion Project Social Media Channels: Stay informed on Linkedin, Facebook
, Twitter and VDOT’s 511.
- HRBT Expansion Webpage: Stay informed about the HRBT Expansion Project by visiting hrbtexpansion.org.
The HRBT Expansion Project team coordinates with WAZE and Apple Maps to provide updates about roadways inside the project limits for motorists traveling in real time.