Welcome to On the Road! This column will have your weekly lane closures and roadwork reports for this coming week!
The list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Single-lane closure westbound on June 23-24 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures northbound on June 21-22 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17:
- Mobile, single-lane closures southbound on June 21 and June 24-25 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on June 22-23 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed June 20-24 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive east of Bruton High School on June 21 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Fenton Mill east of Route 199 on June 22-23, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on June 24-26 starting as early as 7 p.m. to as late as 4 a.m.
- Full directional closures of Military Highway between the I-64 on- and off- ramps from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. on the following dates:
- June 21 – northbound and southbound
- June 22 – northbound only
- June 23 – northbound and southbound
- June 24 – southbound only
- June 25- northbound and southbound, 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. For the full traffic alert, click here: https://conta.cc/3xvhpEP
- Full closure of the off-ramp from I-64 west to George Washington Highway (exit 296A) on June 19 from 9-11 p.m. For the full traffic alert, click here: https://conta.cc/3xvhpEP
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- June 14-17 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- June 18 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- June 19 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- June 20 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Interstate 264 (I-264)
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on June 20-27 from 7 p.m. until as late as noon, including a consecutive double-lane closure on I-264 east on June 25 at 10 p.m. to June 28 at 5 a.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (exit 16)
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on June 20-25 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.