YORK COUNTY — York County announced its recommended hours and ages for trick-or-treating and is offering some safety tips this Halloween.
The county recommends kids age 12 and under trick-or-treat between 6 to 8 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 31.
The county also recommends the following for a safe and fun Halloween:
- All costumes, wigs, and accessories should be fire-resistant
- If children are allowed out after dark, fasten reflective tape to their costumes and bags or give them glow sticks
- Consider wearing bright and/or light-colored costumes, which are easier to see at night.
- Opt for non-toxic Halloween makeup over masks, which can obscure vision
- Have an adult accompany younger children
- Residents are asked to turn on porch lights to identify homes that wish to receive trick-or-treaters. Please avoid houses where porch lights are off.
- Teach your children never to enter a stranger’s home or car
- Tell your children not to eat any treats until they return home, and take care to avoid any food allergies
- Remind children to be careful, watch for traffic, and to use flashlights.
- Motorists should watch for children walking on roadways, medians and curbs, and enter and exit driveways and alleys carefully.