RICHMOND — Gov. Glenn Youngkin announced Thursday that Virginia’s sales tax holiday will fall this weekend — Friday, Aug. 5 through Sunday, Aug. 7.
The sales tax holiday starts at 12:01 a.m. on Aug. 5 and wraps up on Aug. 7 at 11:59 p.m, according to a release from the Office of the Governor. During this period, Virginians can purchase a number of items in stores, online, by mail order, and by telephone without paying sales tax.
“During a time of high inflation and gas prices, Virginians will receive some needed tax relief this weekend as they support local businesses across the Commonwealth,” Gov. Youngkin said. “Our administration will continue to stand up for parents trying to buy school supplies for their children, Virginians preparing for upcoming weather-related events, and families struggling with the cost of living challenges.
“Building on the record tax relief for Virginians in this year’s budget, lowering the cost of living remains a top priority for my administration as we work together to make Virginia the best place to live, work, and raise a family,” he added.
What items are eligible?
- School supplies, clothing, and footwear
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
- Energy Star and WaterSense products
- Qualifying Energy Star or WaterSense products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item
“The sales tax holiday benefits both businesses and consumers,” said Secretary of Finance Steve Cummings. “And, with inflation at its highest level since 1981, Virginians need this tax relief now more than ever.”
Detailed lists of qualifying items and more information for retailers can be found in the Sales Tax Holiday Guidelines and on Virginia Tax’s website.