VIRGINIA BEACH — The Virginia Sports Hall of Fame announced it is now accepting nominations for its 2022 Student Athlete Achievement Awards scholarships.
The scholarship nomination period will stay open from Monday, Aug. 1, to Friday, Oct. 21 at 5 p.m. All nominations must be received by Oct. 21.
The Virginia Sports Hall of Fame said in its announcement that it is “looking for junior & senior student-athletes attending Virginia high schools that excel academically”
Nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Attend high school in Virginia (public or private)
- Be a junior or senior during the 2022-23 academic year
- Letter in at least one Virginia High School League (VHSL)/Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association (VISAA) sanctioned sport
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA
Nominations can be made by a family member, coach, administrator, mentor, or even by the student-athlete themselves.
“Individuals completing the nomination will be asked to include details and references that support the student’s achievements in each of the areas of focus; academic, athletic and civic. At least one letter of recommendation and a personal essay from the student are required to complete the nomination process,” according to the organization.
All nominations with the supporting documents can be submitted online at the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame’s website or by direct mail to the Hall of Fame’s administrative office:
Virginia Sports Hall of Fame
c/o Student Athlete Achievement Awards
283 Constitution Drive, Ste. 303
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
“Once all the nominations are received, the Student Athlete Achievement Awards selection committee will choose the finalists for the scholarship awards. The scholarship winners will be announced during a reception to be held in Norfolk, Va in January 2023. Date and time are TBD,” according to the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
In 2021, the Hall of Fame awarded $12,000 in scholarships to 16 student-athletes from Virginia. 11 girls and five boys.
Four Student-Athletes of the Year each received a $1,500 scholarship from the Hall of Fame:
- Zella Bailey, 12th grade, Frank W. Cox High School, Virginia Beach
- Chris-Ann Nelson, 12th grade, Meadowbrook High School, North Chesterfield
- Ella Valente, 12th grade, Potomac Falls High School, Sterling
- Tobin Yates, 12th grade, Western Albemarle High School, Crozet
For more information on the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame, check out its official website or Facebook page.