JAMES CITY COUNTY — The REV3 Triathlon is expected to cause road delays on Route 5 near Chickahominy Riverfront Park Saturday, July 9 and Sunday, July 10 in James City County.
Saturday events include a sprint triathlon and kids duathlon between 5-11 a.m., and may impact Route 5 and park traffic. Sunday, Olympic and half triathlon events will take place between 5 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Chickahominy Riverfront Park will serve as the host site for the event, and patrons will be impacted:
Saturday, July 9:
- Open: the park, swimming pool, splash pad, fishing pier
- Closed All Day: boat ramp, paddle craft rentals
Sunday, July 10:
- Open: the park, swimming pool, splash pad
- Closed All Day: boat ramp, paddle craft rentals, fishing pier
The swim portion of all REV3 events will take place in Gordon Creek, closing the Chickahominy Riverfront Park boat ramp and paddle craft rentals. The fishing pier will be closed on Sunday, July 10.
The bicycle and running legs of all events will start at Chickahominy Riverfront Park and cross the Judith Stewart Dresser Bridge into Charles City County. The Virginia Capital Trail will also be used for the run portion of the triathlon, which may cause minor delays to motorists during Saturday’s sprint event. Route maps are available online.
James City County highlighted a variety of water recreation location alternatives:
- Pier fishing is also available at Powhatan Creek Park, 1831 Jamestown Road and Little Creek Reservoir Park, 180 Lakeview Road
- Boat ramps are available at:
Brickyard Landing, 990 Brickyard Road
Diascund Reservoir Park (electric motors only), 9551 Diascund Reservoir Park Road
Little Creek Reservoir Park (electric motors only) 180 Lakeview Road
James City County Marina (some restrictions apply due to the Colonial Parkway), 2054 Jamestown Road
- Kayaks, canoes and other small boats may launched at all boat ramps as well as Powhatan Creek Park, the James City County Marina and Jamestown Beach Event Park, 2205 Jamestown Road
- Paddlecraft rentals are available at Jamestown Beach Event Park, James City County Marina and Little Creek Reservoir Park.