STATEWIDE — The Virginia State Parks Adventure Series presented by Appalachian Power begins March 19, 2022.
This will be the fifth year for the Virginia State Park Adventure Series and it will feature 22 races at 13 State Parks that will consist of bike races, adventure races, and running races at various distances from 5k’s to half marathons and triathlons.
Ellen Alexander, owner of Happy Cat Events in Williamsburg, helps put on nine races a year in the Historic Triangle. She is now helping to organize one of the race events apart of this year’s Virginia State Parks Adventure Series. It’s called the “Taskina Creek Half Marathon” and the event will be taking place on June 5 at York River State Park.
“The Taskinas Creek Half Marathon is proud to be part of the VA State Park Adventure series this year! Last year the race was a full marathon, but due to the high heat and humidity in June for participants and volunteers, I decided to try it as a Half Marathon this year (Sunday, June 5),” said Alexander. “The course is a beautiful tour of York River State Park. Runners will see scenic views of the York River and Taskinas Creek along the route. There are footbridges, narrow technical single track trails, wooden stairs, overlooks plus some fun runnable fast sections. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the youth mountain biking team in Williamsburg, Colonial Revolution.”
Participants in the Virginia State Parks Adventure Series will be able to compete for prizes while visiting the various state park locations.
The races are scheduled to take place at these 13 state parks from March until October. The following is the full list of races:
- March 19-20 Tour de Pocahontas at Pocahontas State Park
- March 26 Dogwood Ultra Marathon at Twin Lakes State Park
- April 3 Pocahontas Trail Running Fest at Pocahontas State Park
- April 9 Frozen Foot Challenge at Seven Bends State Park
- April 24 Marl’s Revenge at York River State Park
- April 30 Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon at Smith Mountain Lake State Park
- April 30 Spring Bloom Adventure Race at Lake Anna State Park
- May 1 Middle Mountain Momma at Douthat State Park
- May 7 Shenanduro at Shenandoah River State Park
- May 7 High Bridge Trail Time Trial at High Bridge Trail State Park
- June 5 Taskinas Creek 1/2 Marathon at York River State Park
- June 18 Poca Go! at Pocahontas State Park
- June 25 Night Train 1/2 Marathon at High Bridge Trail State Park
- July 17 Summer Sizzle at York River State Park
- Aug. 7 Guts, Gravel, Glory at Pocahontas State Park
- Aug. 21 John Blair Blur at York River State Park
- Sept. 17 Odyssey Trail Running Rampage at Douthat State Park
- Sept. 17 New River Trail Challenge at New River Trail State Park
- Sept. 24 Crazy 8 Miller at York River State Park
- Oct. 1 Howlin’ Coyote 10k at Caledon State Park
- Oct. 1 James River Ultra Runs at James River State Park
This year’s Adventure series will be giving out “Achievement Awards”. If participants compete in six Adventure Series races they’ll win a $100 Virginia State Parks fit certificate and annual pass. If Participants compete in any four Adventure Series races they’ll win a Virginia State Parks annual pass and will be entered into a drawing for a $150 Virginia State Parks gift certificate.
Local runners, bikers, and hikers interested in participating can find more details of these races as well as more information on the Virginia State Parks Adventure Series on its official web page.