Tuesday, August 16, 2022

York County Fire and Life Safety Puts Out Fire in Grafton

York County Fire and Life Safety were called to put out a fire in the Grafton Station Apartment Complex late on the night of Feb. 22. (Courtesy of York County Department of Fire & Life Safety)

GRAFTON — York County firefighters responded to reports of smoke coming from one of the buildings in the Grafton Station Apartments complex, 100 Piccadilly Loop, late at night on Feb. 22.

Upon arrival, Fire and Life Safety personnel quickly located the fire in one of the rooms in the building and put it out before it was able to spread. They were assisted by units from the Newport News Fire Department as well as the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office.

There were no injuries reported and all of the occupants of the apartment building were able to be safely evacuate.

The occupant of the apartment that caught fire relocated to a friend’s residence. Due to the fire being put out so quickly, there was no damage anywhere else in the building and others residents were able to return home.

According to a press release posted on the Fire and Life Safety Facebook page, officials suspect that the fire was started when a lamp fell on to some clothes.

The post also said that the fire was unable to spread to the rest of the building because the occupant closed the door.

According to the press release, “Closing doors behind, when it can be done safely while quickly evacuating, as well as closing them when sleeping (‘close when you doze’) can have a significant effect on preventing the spread of fire and the protection of occupants.”

To see a video on the affect of closing doors as well as other fire safety tips, the Fire and Life Safety recommends watching this video.

Related Articles

MORE FROM AUTHOR