TIDEWATER — Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Historic Triangle can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of March 28 to April 3.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
- Alternating, single-lane closures eastbound on March 28-30 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664:
- Alternating, single-lane closures northbound on March 29 to April 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) as needed March 28 to April 1 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive at Bruton High School March 29-31 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpasses March 29 to April 2 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Fenton Mill Road west of Route 199 April 1-2 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- March 29 from 9-11:30 a.m.
- March 29-30 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- March 29 to April 1 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp from northbound George Washington Highway to I-64 west on March 30 to April 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Full closure of the I-264 east (outside set) off-ramp to I-64 west (exit 14B) on March 25-26 from midnight to 4 a.m.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures of I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on March 28 to April 1 from as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., with two or more lanes closed no earlier than 9 p.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (Exit 16)
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on March 28 to April 1 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on northbound Witchduck Road at the I-264 overpass, starting as early as March 29, Monday through Saturday, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., for approximately four weeks. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Full closure of the on-ramp from Newtown Road to I-264 east on:
- March 27-28 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- March 29 to April 2 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Click here for the full traffic alert.
YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
- World Purple Day: Our Journey with Epilepsy
- UPDATE: Atlantic Union Bank in James City County robbed; search underway for suspect. Reward offered
- Brews & Bites: Billsburg Brewery re-releases IPA in honor of Va. state trooper
- Food Truck Tracker: Here’s what food trucks in the area are doing
- UPDATE: Man sexually assaulted woman during a massage, JCC police say