Drivers on Interstate 64 should expect a series of nightly lane closures — and possibly some delays — through the week. As a result of VDOT’s I-64 widening project certain ramps and lanes will experience closures from Sept. 1-7.
VDOT will suspend most highway work zones and lift lane closures on interstates and other major roads in Virginia for Labor Day travel from noon, Friday, Aug. 30 until noon, Tuesday, Sept. 3.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) on Sept. 3-5, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound.
- Overnight lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at I-64 overpass on Sept. 3-5, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- Brief stoppages under flagger control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass, on Sept. 3, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- I-64 Express Lanes will be closed:
- Sept. 4, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Sept. 6-7, from 10:00 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure, with stoppages lasting up to 15 minutes, on I-64 west off-ramp to Route 17/George Washington Highway (Exit 296A), on Sept. 4-7, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.