Roller coaster enthusiasts have a new reason to put Williamsburg on their bucket lists.
Busch Gardens will unveil its first wooden roller coaster this spring, according to a release. Known as “the InvadR,” the ride will offer nine air-time hills, including one 74-foot drop at a speed of almost 50 miles per hour.
The park opens on March 25.
Also in store for visitors this spring and summer:
- “Elmo Rocks!” at the Globe Theatre starting on March 18, with with Cookie Monster, Abby, Elmo, and Abby Cadabby.
- Wildlife conservation expert Jack Hanna will spotlight his animals on March 25 and March 26.
- The “KIDsiderate Concert Series” kicks off in May, with performances including Choo Choo Soul with Genevieve.
- The Busch Gardens Food & Wine Festival returns on weekends between May 26 and July 2. For the first time, the lineup includes offerings from India.
- “Summer Nights” concerts on summer Saturdays will feature live performances at the Royal Palace Theater by artists such as 38 Special, Josh Turner, MercyMe, Jeremy Camp and Rend Collective. Concerts are free with admission to the park.
- “Britmania,” a new musical offering with British pop hits from the 1960s through today, will open June 30 at the Globe Theatre.
- “All for One,” an action-adeventure tale based on The Three Musketeers, will run every night from June 30 through Sept. 3, except on concert Saturdays.
- There will be two displays of fireworks, on July 3 and July 4, to mark Independence Day.
If you really plan ahead, take note. Busch Gardens will bring back Christmas Town on Nov. 24.
For more information or to buy tickets, go to www.buschgardens.com/va or call 757-229-4386.