Saturday, July 13, 2024

DMV-Issued Permanent Farm Use Placards Required Starting July 1

Farm Use
Photo by Erika Fletcher on Unsplash

RICHMOND — The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles will require DMV-issued farm placards for unregistered farm use panel trucks, pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles beginning July 1.

Permanent farm use placards for unregistered farm vehicles have been available at all Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) customer service centers since last year, and applications for the permanent farm use placard are available on

(Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles)

“It is our hope that these placards will help ensure the proper use of farm use tags and, most importantly, make Virginia’s roads safer,” DMV Commissioner Gerald Lackey said in October. “There is time before enforcement begins, so we encourage farmers to send their applications through the mail at your earliest opportunity. That way you can skip the trip to your local DMV.” 

The requirement is a result of legislation passed by the 2023 General Assembly. The DMV-issued placards replace the unofficial farm use tags typically purchased at a local store for use on these three types of unregistered farm vehicles.

The official placards cost $15 and are good for the lifetime of the vehicle, but are not transferable. An additional $15 may be required if the owner does not already hold a title for the vehicle, according to the DMV. 

The permanent farm use placard application requires the following information: 

  • Name of vehicle owner and one of the following: FEIN/SSN/DMV customer number 
  • Vehicle year, make, model and vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • Approximate farm location and acreage where the vehicle is used 
  • Type of agricultural commodities produced 
  • Signatures confirming the vehicle will only be used for purposes allowed under farm use exemption and that the vehicle is insured

Placard transactions are not available online, the DMV said. Applicants should allow ample time to mail their application or schedule an appointment to bring the completed application to their local DMV.

For details on which farm use plates or placards are right for your vehicle or more details on placards for unregistered farm vehicles, visit the DMV website

Related Articles