Monday, July 15, 2024

Juvenile Shot by York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office Deputy in April Charged

Virginia State Police are investigating a shooting on I-64 near Lee Hall in Newport News. (WYDaily/ Courtesy of Pixabay)
(WYDaily/ Courtesy of Pixabay)

YORK COUNTY — A 17-year-old male who was shot by a York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office deputy after brandishing a weapon at the Clairmont Apartments in Yorktown on April 14 has been arrested on multiple charges.

According to the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office, on May 1 the juvenile was arrested on one charge of assault on a law enforcement officer, one charge of reckless handling of a firearm, three charges of brandishing a firearm and one charge of juvenile in possession of a firearm.

The juvenile was taken to the Merrimac Detention Facility and has a court appearance on May 2.

According to the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office, at approximately 6:11 p.m. on April 14, deputies were dispatched to a call for an armed subject who was brandishing a firearm in the 400 block of Arcadia Loop.

In a press conference held April 15, York-Poquoson Sheriff Ron Montgomery said one person, whose children were playing in the nearby playground, claimed a laser had gone across her face. A laser sight was later found on the firearm.

Upon arrival, deputies found him barricaded in a vehicle, according to the Sheriff’s Office. Attempts to negotiate with the juvenile were met with no response.

Montgomery said that the juvenile had pointed the gun several times in various directions while barricaded inside the vehicle, adding a deputy witnessed him crank a round into the weapon, a 9mm pistol with an extended magazine. Deputies later found 23 rounds in the vehicle.

Eventually, the teen exited the vehicle holding both the weapon and a cell phone, at which point Montgomery said the juvenile extended the weapon, pointing it in the direction of several deputies. At that point, one of the deputies, armed with an issued rifle, fired three times, striking the juvenile twice.

Montgomery said deputies then secured the weapon and immediately began administering first aid, and medics that had been staged were quickly on the scene. The juvenile was transported to a local hospital to treat injuries sustained from the shooting.

Related Articles