REGIONAL — This summer, we have visited several different defunct places and attractions in our Limited Series, Landmark Lost. With the final summer edition of the series publishing on Friday, Aug. 27, catch up on the entire run of the series:
- Take a ride on the infamous Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW) roller coaster, Drachen Fire.
- Then swing across the Rhine River in BGW’s beloved but defunct coaster, Big Bad Wolf.
- Visit what is left of the quirky piece of Roadside Americana, Presidents Park.
- Take a tour of the region’s only World’s Fair, the Jamestown Tercentennial Exposition of 1907 in part one and part two.
- Walk along the abandoned street of Virginia’s ghost town, Union Level.
- Explore the ruins of former Army Base/Prisoner of War Camp/Nike Missile Site at Camp Patrick Henry.
- Stand in the ruins of the controversial past that is Gloucester’s Rosewell Plantation.
- Take a journey back to days of yore with the now defunct BGW village, Hastings, in part one and part two.
- Travel in a time machine to the Miocene Epoch at Rice’s Fossil Pit.