Welcome to On the Road! This column will have your weekly lane closures and roadwork reports for this coming week!
The list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
NOTE: This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures eastbound Aug. 31 and Sept. 2 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel, I-664:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures southbound Sept. 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures northbound Sept. 1 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264:
- Intermittent stoppages in both directions Sept. 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown Tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Newman Road (exit 234) in Lightfoot to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed Aug. 29 to Sept. 2 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Consecutive, single-lane closure on I-64 east between Route 143 (exit 238) and Route 199 (exit 242) in place by 5 a.m. Aug. 30 through 5 a.m. Sept. 1. Two lanes are scheduled to remain open to traffic during this work.
- Full closure of the I-64 east on- and off-ramps at Route 199/Newman Road (exit 234) in Lightfoot Aug. 30 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on Merrimac Trail (Route 143) at the I-64 overpass on Aug. 30 to Sept. 3 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199/Newman Road west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199/Newman Road to follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199/Newman Road east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- For a full list of ongoing traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page: 64highrise.org/news_and_
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289) Aug. 30 to Sept. 2 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the off-ramp from I-64 west to Battlefield Boulevard south (exit 290B) Sept. 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Ongoing closure with detour of Yadkin Road. Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/2XrIRql
- Closure with detour of Yadkin Road, beginning as early as Aug. 23. Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/2XrIRql
I-64 Express Lanes:
- Full closure in both directions: Aug. 30-31 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Full ramp closure from Northampton Boulevard north (Route 13) to I-64 east Aug. 29 to Sept. 2 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure from Northampton Boulevard south (Route 13) to I-64 east and west Aug. 29 to Sept. 2 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Interstate 264 (I-264)
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) Aug. 27 to Sept. 2 from 7 p.m. until as late as 10 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east near the I-264 interchange Aug. 29 to Sept. 2 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Consecutive, double-lane closure on I-264 west between Witchduck Road (exit 16) and Newtown Road (exit 15) from Aug. 27 at 7 p.m. to Aug. 30 at 5 a.m.
Interstate 564 (I-564)
- Consecutive, double-lane closures on I-564 west between the I-64 west interchange and Terminal Boulevard:
- Aug. 27 at 7 p.m. through Aug. 30 at 4 a.m.
- Sept. 3 at 7 p.m. through Sept. 6 at 4 a.m.