JCC explains new food truck regulations

WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.

The Norfolk-based Karnage Asada is the first food truck to apply for a permit to operate regularly in York County. (Image courtesy of Karnage Asada)
The Norfolk-based Karnage Asada food truck serving customers. (Image courtesy of Karnage Asada)

With spring on the horizon, James City County residents can expect to see food trucks operating in new locations once warm weather arrives.

James City County’s Board of Supervisors voted to permit the operation of food trucks in November and December.

The county issued a press release Friday to help citizens understand how food trucks will now operate within the county.

According to the release, food trucks will be allowed to operate on county land designated M-1 Limited Business/Industrial Zoning, M-2 General Industrial Zoning, PL Public Lands, B-1 General Business and PUD-C Planned Unit and Development-Commercial. A map of areas on which food trucks are permitted can be found on the county’s website.

In order to serve the general public, prospective mobile food vendors must have a valid James City County business license and apply for a Mobile Food Vending Permit. To obtain a Mobile Food Vending Permit, vendors must pass inspection from the JCC Fire Department and the Virginia Department of Health. Vendors must also submit written permission from the owners of the property on which they will operate their food truck.

The Zoning Office will answer questions relating to Mobile Food Vending Permits according to the release, and can be reached at 757-253-6685. Business licenses are issued by the Commissioner of the Revenue, who can be reached at 757-253-6698.

Before the board’s vote, food trucks were allowed only to cater special or private events within the county. Mobile food vendors need a special event permit to cater such events.

Regulations regarding food trucks are available in Article II Sec. 24-49 of the Code of James City County.

A list of food trucks permitted to operate within James City County can be provided by the County’s Office of Economic Development, reachable by email at yesjcc@jamescitycountyva.gov.  Businesses that wish to host food trucks on their property must be located in an approved zone or must provide written permission to the county.