WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.
Commonwealth Whisky Fizz
- One ounce of single-malt whisky, such as Copper Fox Distillery’s Wasmund’s Whisky
- A half-ounce of pumpkin-maple simple syrup (recipe follows)
- One ounce of club soda.
Add whisky and simple syrup into a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously. Pour into a rocks glass with fresh ice. Splash club soda on top. Garnish with a thin apple slice.
Yield: One serving.
Pumpkin-Maple Simple Syrup
- One cup maple syrup
- One cup water
- A half-cup of pumpkin puree (can be canned)
- One vanilla bean
- Ten slices of fresh ginger root, roughly quarter-sized
- A teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
Put all the ingredients into a saucepan. Stir until the pumpkin blends. Simmer for about 20 minutes. If it’s too thick, add water. Strain through cheesecloth or a sieve and serve.
Yield: About a cup. Store in a jar or cruet in the refrigerator. Will keep for a couple of weeks.
Recipe courtesy Copper Fox Distillery Williamsburg