WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.
A fire broke out in the White Oaks subdivision on Coventry Road Tuesday afternoon, according to a press release from the James City County Fire Department.
Units from JCCFD were dispatched to a structure fire at 1:43 p.m. Tuesday. When they arrived, they found fire conditions in the attic above the garage and quickly contained the blaze, the release stated.
According to the release, the homeowner was at home during the onset of the fire and smelled smoke, at which point he discovered a fire in the garage. He then gathered his pets and evacuated the residence.
There was extensive damage to the attic space and collateral smoke damage to other areas of the home.
According to the release, Williamsburg Fire Department assisted in containing the fire. Fire Marshalls determined that the fire was caused by the use of extension cords as permanent wiring.