Kerosene heater sparks house fire in James City County

WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.

(Courtesy James City County Fire Department)
(Courtesy James City County Fire Department)

Cooler weather led to a house fire on Old Field Road in The Meadows subdivision Wednesday night.

According to a press release from the James City County Fire Department, units responded to a call around 6:45 p.m. after a resident attempted to move a kerosene heater inside his home.

Once the heater was operated inside the home, furnishings caught fire and the residents and their pets fled to escape flames. Fire units from both James City County and the City of Williamsburg extinguished the fire, the release stated.

According to the JCC fire marshal’s office, the fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage and was determined to be accidental. There were no injuries reported.