Generator causes house fire in Kingswood

WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.

(Courtesy JCC)
(Courtesy JCC)

A home on Oxford Road in Kingswood caught fire Sunday after its backup power generator burst into flames.

According to a news release from James City County, the generator was used during Hurricane Matthew following a power outage in the residents’ home. James City County Fire units were called by neighbors, who reporting seeing flames around 12:45 p.m. Sunday.

The residents were not at home at the time and their dog was rescued by neighbors shortly before the arrival of fire units, the release stated.

According to the release, fire personnel arrived to find the generator and rear exterior of the home on fire, which they quickly contained. The damage occurred primarily in the garage with some smoke damage to the main home.

Fire marshals have determined the cause of the fire to be accidental.