WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.
Williamsburg area residents are encouraged to share their thoughts on proposed changes to regional transportation services and fees during an upcoming public hearing.
The Williamsburg Area Transit Authority, which operates the region’s public bus service, is considering several service changes, including but not limited to the following:
- Introducing a demonstration route called the Jamestown Line, which would connect Jamestown Settlement, Jamestown High School, the Williamsburg Crossing Shopping Center — all in James City County — and the Williamsburg Transportation Center in the City of Williamsburg
- For the Blue and Gray lines, extending service hours to 11 p.m.
- For the Blue Line, eliminating four stops on Olde Towne Road in James City County
- For the Red Line, travel pattern changes and stop modifications that would be absorbed by the Jamestown Line
- For the Tan Line, eliminating frequency between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Combining Purple Line 1 and Purple Line 2
- For the Purple Line, eliminating two Barhamsville stops
- For the Surry Line, increasing service to Surry, but suspending service between low ridership hours of 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
WATA is proposing raising one-way bus fares by 25 cents and eliminating the 25-cent transfer fee. The one-way trolley fare would increase by 50 cents.
Seven-day bus and trolley passes would go up from $10 to $15, and a 30-day goWATA pass would increase from $30 to $45. The six-day passes would be eliminated.
WATA also is exploring options for another demonstration route that could serve government offices; public input is invited.
Residents interested in offering their input on the proposed changes can attend one of the following hearings:
- Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 10 a.m.
- Williamsburg Regional Library, Schell Room, 515 Scotland Street, Williamsburg
- Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 6 p.m.
- Abram Frink Jr. (James River) Community Center, Multi-Purpose Room, 8901 Pocahontas Trail, Williamsburg
- Thursday, June 2, 2016, 10 a.m.
- Sentara Hospital, Robert Graves Room, 100 Sentara Circle, Williamsburg
- Thursday, June 2, 2016, 7 p.m.
- Surry County Government Center, 45 School Street, Surry
- Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 2:30 p.m.
- Lackey Free Clinic, 1620 Old Williamsburg Road, Yorktown
- Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 5 p.m.
- New Zion Baptist Church, South Campus #1, 3991 Longhill Road, Williamsburg
- Thursday, June 9, 2016, 5 p.m.
- Toano Middle School, Cafeteria, 7817 Richmond Road, Toano
- Saturday, June 11, 2016, 4 p.m.
- James City County Recreation Center, Room C, 5301 Longhill Road, Williamsburg
Written comments may be submitted, but they must be postmarked by midnight June 11, the date the public comment period closes.
Letters should be directed to Jamie Jackson, 7239 Pocahontas Trail, Williamsburg, VA 23185, Attn: 2016 Service Modifications. Emails should be directed to info@goWATA.org, with the subject line “Attn: 2016 Service Modifications.”