WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.
Boston College freshman pitcher Sean Hughes, a Jamestown alumnus, earned his first collegiate win last week.
Hughes helped Boston College claim its 12th Beanpot Title, which goes to the winner of a four-team tournament involving Boston College, Harvard University, Northeastern University and the University of Massachusetts.
Other Historic Triangle athletes had standout performances in baseball, softball and outdoor track and field.
Each week throughout the school year, WYDaily will keep you up to date on what Historic Triangle athletes and coaches have been up to since high school graduation.
Know of a college or pro athlete from the Historic Triangle who deserves recognition? Send us an email at email@example.com to let us know.
- Boston College freshman Sean Hughes (Jamestown) earned his first collegiate win, throwing one inning and striking out two batters during an April 20 game against Northeastern.
- George Mason University sophomore Trevor Kelly (York) went 3-for-5 with 2 RBIs during an April 23 win against Radford.
- Ferrum College junior Lane Deaver (Grafton) went 2-for-3 with 2 RBIs during an April 20 loss to Emory & Henry. Deaver also went 2-for-5 with 2 RBIs during an April 21 win against Roanoke College.
- Christopher Newport University senior Tommy Vitaletti (Jamestown) went 5-for-5 with 4 RBIs during an April 21 loss to Frostburg State in the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament.
- Christopher Newport University junior Tara Heatwole (Jamestown) threw a complete-game shutout during an April 22 win against Frostburg State.
- Lynchburg College junior Kayla St. John (Tabb) went 2-for-3 with a run scored during an April 19 win against Mary Washington. She also went 3-for-5 with two runs scored in the second game of an April 19 doubleheader against Mary Washington.
Outdoor Track & Field
- Air Force freshman Kathryn Tomczak (Lafayette) cleared 13-1 1/2 in the pole vault during the Michael Johnson Invitational on April 23. With the clearance, Tomczak is now tied for the second-best performance in program history.
In-season athletes followed in this feature:
Baseball: Travis Arthur, William Peace University (Tabb ’14); Warren Atkins, Bridgewater College (Lafayette ’14); Thomas Chisam, California University of Pennsylvania (Walsingham Academy ’15); Ricks Dearing, Barton College (Grafton ’15); Lane Deaver, Ferrum (Grafton ’13); Adam Emerson, Christopher Newport University (Lafayette ’12); Tyler Floyd, Virginia Wesleyan (Bruton ’15); Eric Harp, Longwood University (York ’15); Brandon Harvell, Longwood University (York ’13); Tyler Klinedinst, William Peace University (Warhill ’13); Evan Sperling, University of Virginia (Grafton ’15); Sean Hughes, Boston College (Jamestown ’15); Matt Keane, William & Mary (Jamestown ’15); Trevor Kelly, George Mason University (York ’14); Ryan Mason, Bridgewater College (Jamestown ’15); Blake Ream, Christopher Newport University (Grafton ’12); Jordan Sprouse, Virginia Wesleyan (Grafton ’15); Tommy Vitaletti, Christopher Newport University (Jamestown ’12); Corey Williams, Christopher Newport University (Jamestown ’15), Brian Willis, William Peace University (York ’13)
Golf: Christina Herbert, Bridgewater College (Jamestown ’14); Marin Warring, Bridgewater College (Lafayette ’12)
Softball: Lia Batchelor, Christopher Newport University (York ’14); Hannah Cook, Christopher Newport University (Grafton ’12); Christa Hall, Campbell University (Grafton ’15); Hannah Hautz, Mary Washington (York ’14); Tara Heatwole, Christopher Newport University (Jamestown ’13); DaSha Hill, Louisburg College (Bruton ’15); Colby Norris, Bryant University (Warhill ’15); Hannah Olson, Elon University (Grafton ’14); Kerstin Roth, Roanoke College (Grafton ’15); Kayla St. John, Lynchburg College (Tabb ’13); Patti Vinson, Randolph College (Lafayette ’12); Hannah Winfree, Randolph College (York ’13); Morgan Wooddell, Christopher Newport Univeristy (Tabb ’14); Nadina Wright, Eastern Mennonite (Warhill ’14)
Outdoor Track and Field: Lisette Brondyke, Christopher Newport University (Walsingham ’15); Carley Shannon, Ball State University (Bruton ’14); Christopher Short, Virginia Tech (Warhill ’15); Kathryn Tomczak, Air Force (Lafayette ’15)