WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.
Bridgewater College sophomore and Jamestown alumna Christina Herbert continued her golf dominance last week, earning first place during the Hollins Shootout.
On what proved to be a tough course, Herbert shot a round best nine over par, which beat teammate and Historic Triangle comrade Marin Warring, a Lafayette alumna, by three strokes.
Other Historic Triangle athletes had standout performances in baseball, softball and golf.
Each week throughout the school year, WYDaily will keep you up to date on what Historic Triangle athletes and coaches have been up to since high school graduation.
Know of a college or pro athlete from the Historic Triangle who deserves recognition? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
- Virginia Wesleyan freshman Jordan Sprouse (Grafton) went 2-for-4 with an RBI during an April 11 loss to Mary Washington.
- Longwood University junior Brandon Harvell (York) went 2-for-3 with three runs scored during an April 15 win against Savannah State.
- Ferrum College junior Lane Deaver (Grafton) went 4-for-6 with 5 RBIs during an April 12 win against Eastern Mennonite. He also went 4-for-5 with an RBI during an April 15 win against Methodist University.
- Christopher Newport University senior Tommy Vitaletti (Jamestown) went 2-for-2 with 2 RBIs during an April 11 win against Apprentice School. He also went 3-for-3 with 3 RBIs during an April 14 win against Penn State-Harrisburg.
- Bridgewater College sophomore Christina Herbert (Jamestown) took first place during the Hollins Shootout on April 12. Herbert shot a round-best nine over par.
- Bridgewater College senior Marin Warring (Lafayette) finished second during the Hollins Shootout on April 12. Warring shot 12 over par.
- Louisburg College freshman DaSha Hill (Bruton) 2-for-4 with two runs scored during an April 13 win against Pitt Community College.
- Christopher Newport University junior Tara Heatwole (Jamestown) threw a complete game shutout during an April 13 win against Mary Washington. She also allowed one earned run during an April 16 win against Wesley.
In-season athletes followed in this feature:
Baseball: Travis Arthur, William Peace University (Tabb ’14); Warren Atkins, Bridgewater College (Lafayette ’14); Thomas Chisam, California University of Pennsylvania (Walsingham Academy ’15); Ricks Dearing, Barton College (Grafton ’15); Lane Deaver, Ferrum (Grafton ’13); Adam Emerson, Christopher Newport University (Lafayette ’12); Tyler Floyd, Virginia Wesleyan (Bruton ’15); Eric Harp, Longwood University (York ’15); Brandon Harvell, Longwood University (York ’13); Tyler Klinedinst, William Peace University (Warhill ’13); Evan Sperling, University of Virginia (Grafton ’15); Sean Hughes, Boston College (Jamestown ’15); Matt Keane, William & Mary (Jamestown ’15); Trevor Kelly, George Mason University (York ’14); Ryan Mason, Bridgewater College (Jamestown ’15); Blake Ream, Christopher Newport University (Grafton ’12); Jordan Sprouse, Virginia Wesleyan (Grafton ’15); Tommy Vitaletti, Christopher Newport University (Jamestown ’12); Corey Williams, Christopher Newport University (Jamestown ’15), Brian Willis, William Peace University (York ’13)
Golf: Christina Herbert, Bridgewater College (Jamestown ’14); Marin Warring, Bridgewater College (Lafayette ’12)
Softball: Lia Batchelor, Christopher Newport University (York ’14); Hannah Cook, Christopher Newport University (Grafton ’12); Christa Hall, Campbell University (Grafton ’15); Hannah Hautz, Mary Washington (York ’14); Tara Heatwole, Christopher Newport University (Jamestown ’13); DaSha Hill, Louisburg College (Bruton ’15); Colby Norris, Bryant University (Warhill ’15); Hannah Olson, Elon University (Grafton ’14); Kerstin Roth, Roanoke College (Grafton ’15); Kayla St. John, Lynchburg College (Tabb ’13); Patti Vinson, Randolph College (Lafayette ’12); Hannah Winfree, Randolph College (York ’13); Morgan Wooddell, Christopher Newport Univeristy (Tabb ’14); Nadina Wright, Eastern Mennonite (Warhill ’14)
Outdoor Track and Field: Lisette Brondyke, Christopher Newport University (Walsingham ’15); Carley Shannon, Ball State University (Bruton ’14); Christopher Short, Virginia Tech (Warhill ’15); Kathryn Tomczak, Air Force (Lafayette ’15)