Man Sentenced to 30 Years for JCC Home Invasion, Robbery is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.

The Williamsburg-James City County Courthouse. (Staff Photo)
The Williamsburg-James City County Courthouse. (Staff Photo)

A Newport News man will serve three-and-a-half years in jail for his role in the robbery of a James City County residence in November 2014.

Cameron Whitlock, 19, was one of five suspects arrested and charged in connection with the incident.

Whitlock, his then-wife Jaleshia Whitlock, Giovaunie Banton and two juveniles who will not be named due to their age were all traveling together on the afternoon of Nov. 8, 2014 and made a stop at a home on the 100 block of King William Drive.

One of the residents, a 58-year-old woman, took the stand during Banton’s trial in November to testify she was in her home that afternoon when a group of four people – one of whom knew her son – entered her home, beat her and stole two firearms that were kept in the house.

She said her son let in an acquaintance, one of the juvenile suspects, around 12:30 p.m. Nov. 8.

After the juvenile entered the house, Cameron Whitlock briefly waited outside and then came to the door to ask if he could use the bathroom.

The woman’s son let Cameron Whitlock and two others – Banton and another juvenile – into the house, at which time the victim testified she became uncomfortable with so many unfamiliar people in the house and asked them to leave.

The juvenile acquaintance began saying to the victim that her son owed him money.

Banton and the juvenile acquaintance went upstairs to the woman’s bedroom to begin searching for jewels and valuables, the victim said. It was there she confronted Banton, who then put her in a headlock and began punching her repeatedly, breaking her jaw.

Finally, the four individuals took two guns from the home and got in a car driven by Jaleshia Whitlock and left the scene.

Cameron Whitlock entered into a plea agreement with the prosecution last fall that had all charges except one count of breaking and entering and one count of grand larceny – an amended charge that was originally larceny of a firearm- dropped against him.

In exchange for all other charges being dropped, Whitlock agreed to plead guilty to the two remaining charges and to testify against Banton at his trial.

When Whitlock reappeared before the court Wednesday, Judge Michael McGinty sentenced him to 15 years each for the breaking-and-entering and grand larceny charges.

McGinty suspended all but two years on the breaking-and-entering charge, and all but 18 months on the grand larceny charge, leaving Whitlock to serve three-and-a-half years in prison.

Whitlock and his other co-defendants who have been found guilty will also be responsible for paying $1,369.96 in restitution to the victims.

Banton was found guilty of two counts of grand larceny, one count of malicious wounding and one count of larceny of a firearm. He is still awaiting sentencing.

All charges against Jaleshia Whitlock were dropped.

Related Coverage: