WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.
Christopher Newport University’s Marcus Carter, a Bruton alumnus, put together three double-digit scoring performances last week while leading the Captains to a 3-0 record.
Other Historic Triangle alumni had standout performances in men’s basketball, women’s basketball and swimming.
Each week throughout the school year, WYDaily will keep you up to date on what Historic Triangle athletes and coaches have been up to since high school graduation.
Know of a college or pro athlete from the Historic Triangle who deserves recognition? Send us an email at email@example.com to let us know.
- Christopher Newport University sophomore Marcus Carter (Bruton) scored 15 points during a Feb. 1 win against Frostburg State. Carter also scored 12 points during a Feb. 3 overtime win against Salisbury, and 13 points during a Feb. 6 win against Wesley College.
- Roanoke College sophomore Joey Miller (Grafton) scored 13 points during a Feb. 3 road win against Guilford. Miller also scored 12 points during a Feb. 6 win against Hampden-Sydney.
- Roanoke College junior John Fitchett (Lafayette) scored 11 points during a Feb. 3 win against Guilford.
- Virginia State University junior Elijah Moore (Grafton) scored 16 points and pulled down seven rebounds during a Feb. 3 rout of Shaw University. He also scored 12 points in a Feb. 6 win against Apprentice School.
- Hampden-Sydney senior Mitch Owens (Walsingham Academy) had 11 points during a Feb. 6 loss to Roanoke College.
- Louisiana State University senior Keith Hornsby (Oak Hill Academy) scored 10 points during a Feb. 2 win against Auburn. He also posted 25 points during a Feb. 6 win against Mississippi State.
- William & Mary freshman Joey Rento (Hampton Roads Academy) placed eighth in the 500 freestyle during the Carolina College Invitational. He also placed fifth during the 100 butterfly in the meet.
In-season athletes followed in this feature:
Men’s Basketball: Corey Brown, Randolph College (Walsingham ’12); Marcus Carter, Christopher Newport University (Bruton ’14); Jake Duncan, Hampden-Sydney (Williamsburg Christian Academy ’13); John Fitchett, Roanoke College (Lafayette ’13); Keith Hornsby, Louisiana State University (Oak Hill Academy ’12); Joey Miller, Roanoke College (Grafton ’14); Elijah Moore, Virginia State University (Grafton ’13); Mitch Owens, Hampden-Sydney (Walsingham Academy ’12); Deron Powers, Hofstra University (Williamsburg Christian Academy ’13)
Women’s Basketball: Keyana Brown, Old Dominion University (Lafayette ’14); Alexis Calloway, Randolph College (Bruton ’14); Alayna Cormier, Utica College (Warhill ’15); Kasey Grainer, Virginia Wesleyan (Warhill ’15); Jalynn Ponzo, Christopher Newport University (Williamsburg Christian Academy ’14); Rakeema Willis, Mary Baldwin (York ’15)
Swimming: Peyton Baldwin, University of Virginia (Hampton Roads Academy ’15); Victoria Barley, Old Domonion (Tabb ’13); Allie Christy, William & Mary (Bruton ’13); Ben Colley, University of North Carolina (Lafayette ’12); Max Groene, Virginia Military Institute (Jamestown ’12); Nate Hartt, Mary Washington (Jamestown ’12); John Kale, Virginia Tech (Lafayette ’15); Walker Kale, Ferrum (Lafayette ’14); Trevor Long, George Mason University (Jamestown ’13); Tom Nanartowich, Virginia Military Institute (Walsingham Academy ’13); Nicole Piercy, University of Richmond (Hampton Roads Academy ’15); Chris Prewitt, Old Dominion (Grafton ’12); Joey Rento, William & Mary (Hampton Roads Academy ’15); Maddy Rymer, Mary washington (Grafton ’14); Christian Shaner, Virginia Military Institute (Jamestown ’12); Mary Elizabeth Warhol, James Madison University (York ’13); Lauren Wood, Mary Washington (Jamestown ’13)