WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.
Last week proved busy for Historic Triangle athletes across men’s basketball, women’s basketball and swimming.
Lafayette alumnus and University of North Carolina senior Ben Colley had an impressive showing last week, earning solid finishes against North Carolina State, the University of Virginia and Duke.
Each week throughout the school year, WYDaily will keep you up to date on what Historic Triangle athletes and coaches have been up to since high school graduation.
Know of a college or pro athlete from the Historic Triangle who deserves recognition? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
- Christopher Newport University sophomore Marcus Carter (Bruton) scored 10 points during a Jan. 27 win against Southern Virginia. Carter also scored 14 points during a Jan. 30 win against Penn State-Harrisburg.
- Roanoke College sophomore Joey Miller (Grafton) scored 26 points during a Jan. 27 loss against Randolph College. He also added 14 points in a Jan. 30 loss to Virginia Wesleyan.
- Roanoke College junior John Fitchett (Lafayette) scored 12 points during a Jan. 30 loss to Virginia Wesleyan.
- Virginia State University junior Elijah Moore (Grafton) scored 17 points and added six assists during a Jan. 30 win against Lincoln.
- Hampden-Sydney senior Mitch Owens (Walsingham Academy) scored 18 points during a Jan. 25 win against Easter Mennonite. He also scored 11 points in a Jan. 27 win against Guilford.
- Randolph College senior Corey Brown (Walsingham Academy) logged 13 points during a Jan. 25 loss against Emory & Henry. Brown also scored 20 points during a Jan. 27 upset of Roanoke College and had 13 points during a Jan. 30 loss to Shenandoah.
- Virginia Wesleyan freshman Kasey Grainer (Warhill) scored nine points and pulled down six rebounds in a Jan. 25 win against Randolph College.
- Old Dominion University sophomore Keyana Brown (Lafayette) scored eight points during a Jan. 28 win against Florida Atlantic. She also logged nine points in a Jan. 30 win against Florida International University.
- University of Virginia freshman Peyton Baldwin (Hampton Roads Academy) finished fourth in the 200-yard butterfly during a Jan. 29 tri-meet against North Carolina State and the University of North Carolina.
- University of Mary Washington sophomore Maddie Rymer (Grafton) placed third in the 100-yard backstroke during a Jan. 30 dual meet against York.
- Virginia Military Institute junior Thomas Nanartowich (Walsingham Academy) placed fourth in the 200-yard backstroke during a Jan. 30 tri-meet against Washington & Lee and Ferrum College.
- Virginia Military Institute senior Max Groene (Jamestown) finished third in the 200-yard breaststroke and fourth in the 200-yard individual medley during a Jan. 30 tri-meet against Washington & Lee and Ferrum College.
- Virginia Military Institute senior Christian Shaner (Jamestown) placed second in the 100-yard freestyle during a Jan. 30 tri-meet against Washington & Lee and Ferrum College.
- University of North Carolina senior Ben Colley (Lafayette) placed second in the 200-yard butterfly, second in the 100-yard butterfly and sixth in the 200-yard individual medley during a Jan. 29 tri-meet against North Carolina State University and the University of Virginia. Colley also placed fourth in the 200-yard freestyle and fourth in the 100-yard butterfly during a Jan. 30 dual-meet against Duke.
In-season athletes followed in this feature:
Men’s Basketball: Corey Brown, Randolph College (Walsingham ’12); Marcus Carter, Christopher Newport University (Bruton ’14); Jake Duncan, Hampden-Sydney (Williamsburg Christian Academy ’13); John Fitchett, Roanoke College (Lafayette ’13); Keith Hornsby, Louisiana State University (Oak Hill Academy ’12); Joey Miller, Roanoke College (Grafton ’14); Elijah Moore, Virginia State University (Grafton ’13); Mitch Owens, Hampden-Sydney (Walsingham Academy ’12); Deron Powers, Hofstra University (Williamsburg Christian Academy ’13)
Women’s Basketball: Keyana Brown, Old Dominion University (Lafayette ’14); Alexis Calloway, Randolph College (Bruton ’14); Alayna Cormier, Utica College (Warhill ’15); Kasey Grainer, Virginia Wesleyan (Warhill ’15); Jalynn Ponzo, Christopher Newport University (Williamsburg Christian Academy ’14); Rakeema Willis, Mary Baldwin (York ’15)
Swimming: Peyton Baldwin, University of Virginia (Hampton Roads Academy ’15); Victoria Barley, Old Domonion (Tabb ’13); Allie Christy, William & Mary (Bruton ’13); Ben Colley, University of North Carolina (Lafayette ’12); Max Groene, Virginia Military Institute (Jamestown ’12); Nate Hartt, Mary Washington (Jamestown ’12); John Kale, Virginia Tech (Lafayette ’15); Walker Kale, Ferrum (Lafayette ’14); Trevor Long, George Mason University (Jamestown ’13); Tom Nanartowich, Virginia Military Institute (Walsingham Academy ’13); Nicole Piercy, University of Richmond (Hampton Roads Academy ’15); Chris Prewitt, Old Dominion (Grafton ’12); Joey Rento, William & Mary (Hampton Roads Academy ’15); Maddy Rymer, Mary washington (Grafton ’14); Christian Shaner, Virginia Military Institute (Jamestown ’12); Mary Elizabeth Warhol, James Madison University (York ’13); Lauren Wood, Mary Washington (Jamestown ’13)