While a snowstorm that blanketed the East Coast resulted in the cancellation of local high school events, colleges found time to squeeze in men’s and women’s basketball games last week.
Grafton alumnus and Virginia State University forward Elijah Moore posted the most impressive stat line last week with a double-double of 25 points and 11 rebounds.
Each week throughout the school year, WYDaily will keep you up to date on what Historic Triangle athletes and coaches have been up to since high school graduation.
Know of a college or pro athlete from the Historic Triangle who deserves recognition? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
- Roanoke College sophomore Joey Miller (Grafton) scored a team-high 24 points during a Jan. 20 win against Emory & Henry.
- Roanoke College junior John Fitchett (Lafayette) logged 17 points during a Jan. 20 win against Emory & Henry.
- Virginia State University junior Elijah Moore (Grafton) recorded a double-double of 25 points and 11 rebounds during a Jan. 20 win against Chowan.
- Hampden-Sydney senior Mitch Owens (Walsingham Academy) scored 13 points during a Jan. 20 loss against Randolph College.
- Louisiana State University senior Keith Hornsby (Oak Hill Academy) scored 12 points during a Jan. 23 win against Alabama.
- Mary Baldwin freshman Rakeema Willis (York) scored nine points during a Jan. 21 loss against Covenant.
- Old Dominion University sophomore Keyana Brown (Lafayette) scored 10 points during a Jan. 21 loss against Western Kentucky University.
- George Mason junior Trevor Long (Jamestown) finished first in the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events during a dual-meet against Army on Jan. 22.
In-season athletes followed in this feature:
Men’s Basketball: Corey Brown, Randolph College (Walsingham ’12); Marcus Carter, Christopher Newport University (Bruton ’14); Jake Duncan, Hampden-Sydney (Williamsburg Christian Academy ’13); John Fitchett, Roanoke College (Lafayette ’13); Keith Hornsby, Louisiana State University (Oak Hill Academy ’12); Joey Miller, Roanoke College (Grafton ’14); Elijah Moore, Virginia State University (Grafton ’13); Mitch Owens, Hampden-Sydney (Walsingham Academy ’12); Deron Powers, Hofstra University (Williamsburg Christian Academy ’13)
Women’s Basketball: Keyana Brown, Old Dominion University (Lafayette ’14); Alexis Calloway, Randolph College (Bruton ’14); Alayna Cormier, Utica College (Warhill ’15); Kasey Grainer, Virginia Wesleyan (Warhill ’15); Jalynn Ponzo, Christopher Newport University (Williamsburg Christian Academy ’14); Rakeema Willis, Mary Baldwin (York ’15)
Swimming: Peyton Baldwin, University of Virginia (Hampton Roads Academy ’15); Victoria Barley, Old Domonion (Tabb ’13); Allie Christy, William & Mary (Bruton ’13); Ben Colley, University of North Carolina (Lafayette ’12); Max Groene, Virginia Military Institute (Jamestown ’12); Nate Hartt, Mary Washington (Jamestown ’12); John Kale, Virginia Tech (Lafayette ’15); Walker Kale, Ferrum (Lafayette ’14); Trevor Long, George Mason University (Jamestown ’13); Tom Nanartowich, Virginia Military Institute (Walsingham Academy ’13); Nicole Piercy, University of Richmond (Hampton Roads Academy ’15); Chris Prewitt, Old Dominion (Grafton ’12); Joey Rento, William & Mary (Hampton Roads Academy ’15); Maddy Rymer, Mary washington (Grafton ’14); Christian Shaner, Virginia Military Institute (Jamestown ’12); Mary Elizabeth Warhol, James Madison University (York ’13); Lauren Wood, Mary Washington (Jamestown ’13)