WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.
Students at the College of William & Mary who received hoverboards for Christmas will have to keep them at home — for now.
The hoverboards, also known as self-balancing scooters and hands-free segways, were one of the hottest-selling gifts over the holidays, but have been banned from William & Mary-owned buildings, parking structures and residence halls because of safety concerns.
In a Friday announcement from William & Mary’s Emergency Management Team, the school declared hoverboards may not be used or stored on campus.
“Due to fire concerns raised by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the potential impact to the safety of our community, William & Mary has decided to institute a temporary restriction on the use or storage of hoverboards on campus,” the announcement read.
William & Mary joins dozens of other universities around the nation, which have also placed temporary campus-wide bans on the devices. Also, more than 60 airlines now prohibit bringing hoverboards on their flights.
Hoverboards have made headlines nationally for spontaneously catching on fire and causing injuries to riders from falls.
To date, the CPSC has investigated 28 hoverboard-related fires in 19 states and continues to extensively investigate the fires and injuries related to the charging and operation of the devices.
The announcement went on to say the university will revisit the status of its temporary restriction on hoverboards after the CPSC completes its investigation.