Football Roundup: New Kent Spoils Jamestown Homecoming with Late Special Teams TD is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.

Jamestown captains C.J. Delfico, Zach Pope, Mark Lipscomb and Demarjia Lewis walk to midfield for the coin toss. (Nicole Trifone/WYDaily)

« 1 of 11 »


A blocked field goal that was returned for a touchdown with 28 seconds left helped New Kent spoil Jamestown's homecoming festivities during a 28-27 showdown at Wanner Stadium on Friday.

Jamestown has not won in 16 games, with its last win on Nov. 11, 2013 in a 28-27 win against Tabb.

The Eagles started the game on a high note, as a special teams blunder from New Kent allowed Jamestown to recover its own opening kickoff at New Kent's 18-yard line. Jamestown capitalized on the field position with a 9-yard touchdown run from Mark Lipscomb to go up 7-0.

New Kent responded with what seemed like a promising drive. After 16 plays and moving to Jamestown's 6-yard line, the Trojans were stopped on fourth down and turned the ball over on downs.

After Jamestown fumbled the ball on its next possession, New Kent took advantage and got on the board early in the second quarter.

New Kent quarterback Mike Burt took a quarterback keeper one yard into the end zone for a touchdown. A blocked extra point allowed Jamestown to hold a 7-6 lead.

Jamestown responded quickly, putting together a seven-play drive that was capped by a 20-yard touchdown pass from Hunter Brittain to Zach Pennycuff. Brittain completed 14 of 18 passes for 220 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

New Kent answered with a touchdown of its own on the ensuing drive. The Trojans strung together a 15-play drive that started on their own 22-yard line and found the end zone thanks to a 3-yard touchdown run by Davion Barnes, who finished the game with 199 yards and a touchdown on 29 carries.

As was the case in the second quarter, when one team scored, the other answered.

The Eagles took over possession with 2:53 left in the first half and found paydirt as Lipscomb hauled in an 8-yard touchdown pass from Brittain to put Jamestown up 20-14 heading into halftime.

Jamestown started the second half with a commanding series that lasted 10 plays and spanned 4:43. The Eagles took their largest lead of the game when Rashaun Jones broke free for a 19-yard touchdown run to put Jamestown up 27-14.

The back-and-forth scoring carried over from the first half as New Kent responded with a touchdown of its own on the next drive.

New Kent quickly worked to the Bruton 1-yard line before fullback Lamont Brandon burst through the hole for a touchdown to bring the Trojans within a touchdown.

With victory in their sights and the clock dwindling, Jamestown lined up to attempt a 39-yard field goal with 41 seconds left instead of going for it on fourth down.

The move proved costly as New Kent defenders swarmed the ball on the kick and blocked it. The ball bounced into the arms of New Kent's R.J. Morris, who sprinted down the near sideline 71 yards for a touchdown.

Down one point and looking to spoil Jamestown's homecoming festivities, the Trojans opted to go for the win and attempt a two-point conversion instead of playing for overtime.

The player who brought New Kent within one point of Jamestown then put them up one point: Morris took a handoff, bounced outside to the right and found the end zone to put New Kent up 28-27.

With 24 seconds left in the game and in need of a miracle, Brittain threw the ball deep and was intercepted by — fittingly — Morris to secure the win for New Kent.

When the final whistle blew, Jamestown players were visibly stunned. After meeting with Coach Donnell Brown in the end zone, players walked off the field, some of them with tears rolling down their cheeks.

The emotion on the players' faces was matched by Brown, who knew he was seconds away from giving Jamestown its first win in years. The first-year coach struggled to find the words to describe how to lift his players up and get them prepared for their next game.

"It's honestly just taking the next step. It's waking up tomorrow, walking out of that locker room and taking the next step," Brown said. "This a tough loss, there's no doubt. You can't do anything different standing still, so you might as well take the next step."

The Eagles (0-5) will look for their first win in 17 games as they travel to take on Bruton next Friday.

New Kent: 0 14 6 8 — 28
Jamestown: 7 13 7 0 — 27

First Quarter

J: Lipscomb 9 run (Weissenfluh kick), 7-0

Second Quarter

N: Burt 1 run (kick blocked), 7-6
J: Pennycuff 20 pass from Brittain (Weissenfluh kick), 14-6
N: Barners 3 run (Morris run), 14-14
J: Lipscomb 8 pass from Brittain (kick blocked), 20-14

Third Quarter

J: Jones 19 run (Weissenfluh kick), 27-14
N: Brandon 1 run (kick missed), 27-20

Fourth Quarter

N: Morris 71 FG block return (Morris run), 28-27

New Kent; Jamestown

First Downs: 17; 16
Rushes-yards: 46-291; 29-143
Comp-att-int: 3-4-0; 14-18-1
Passing yards: 19; 220
Fumbles-lost: 1-1; 1-1
Penalties-yards: 7-72; 11-86

New Kent: Davion Barnes (29 car, 199 yards, TD), R.J. Morris (71 yard FG block return, TD)
Jamestown: Hunter Brittain (14-18, 220 yards, 2 TDs, INT), Zach Pennicuff (4 rec, 111 yards, TD, 3 car, 32 yards). Mark Lipscomb (6 car, 29 yards, TD, 4 rec, 61 yards, TD)


Lafayette Escapes Grafton

The Lafayette football team got a tough four quarters from Grafton, but hung on for a 37-28 road win Friday evening for its 29th consecutive Bay Rivers District win.

Lafayette's John Douglass started the game with a bang, hammering home a 1-yard touchdown run for the opening score. Douglass also crossed the goal line on the two-point conversion.

Grafton responded with a big specials teams play later in the quarter as Ryan Pabon returned a kickoff 85 yards for a touchdown.

Armoni Burden got Lafayette on the board to start the second quarter with a 5-yard touchdown run to put the Rams up 16-7.

The Clippers again answered Lafayette's score as quarterback DJ Dobbins hit Demetrius Moore for a 21-yard touchdown to bring Grafton within one point.

Lafayette quarterback Cheyton Pine woke up in the second half, scoring a pair of 1-yard rushing touchdowns, including one in the third quarter and one to open the fourth quarter.

With Lafayette leading 30-15, Grafton's Trevaun Walker spurted through the line for a 1-yard touchdown run to cut Lafayette's lead to 30-21 after a failed two-point conversion.

Grafton scored again, this time coming on a 13-yard pass from Moore to Dobbins. A Reed King kick brought Grafton within two points of the Rams.

However, a Caleb Kraegenbrink 20-yard touchdown run sealed the game for Lafayette and gave the Rams a 37-28 victory.

Lafayette (6-0) will travel to take on Poquoson next Friday, while Grafton (4-2) will visit Warhill that same night.

Individual statistics were not reported for this game.

Lafayette: 8 8 6 15 — 37
Grafton: 7 8 0 13 — 28

First Quarter 

L: Douglass 1 run (Douglass run), 8-0
G: Pabon 85 kickoff return (R. King kick), 8-7

Second Quarter

L: Burden 5 run (Burden run), 16-7
G: Moore 21 pass from Dobbins (Daugherty pass from Dobbins), 16-15

Third Quarter

L: Pine 1 run (pass failed), 22-15

Fourth Quarter

L: Pine 1 run (Graham pass from Pine), 30-15
G: Walker 1 run (run failed), 30-21
G: Dobbins 13 pass from Moore (R. King kick), 30-28
L: C. Kraegenbrink 20 run (Horne kick), 37-28


York Uses First-Half Offense to Down Bruton

York and Bruton combined for 26 first-half points, but neither team could find any offense in the second half.

The Falcons were fine with that result, as they outscored the Panthers 19-7 in the first half and held on for a win by that same margin.

York's Devin Campbell scored the lone points of the first quarter as he crossed the goal line on a 5-yard touchdown run that put the Falcons up 6-0.

Bruton responded in the second quarter with a rushing touchdown of its own. Daniel Jones took a sweep and ran four yards for a score. An Owen Malik kick put the Panthers up 7-6.

Campbell again found the end zone for York, this time coming on a 46-yard scamper. Logan Weis' extra point was true, and the Falcons retook the lead 13-7.

Da'shaun Jones capped the game's scoring with a 15-yard touchdown run shortly before halftime. The score put York up 19-7, which would hold as the final score.

York (4-2) will will host Tabb next Friday, while Bruton (1-5) is looking to snap a five-game losing skid when the Panthers host Jamestown that same night.

Individual statistics were not reported for this game.

York: 6 13 0 0 — 19
Bruton: 0 7 0 0 — 7

First Quarter

Y: Campbell 5 run (run failed), 6-0

Second Quarter

B: Jones 4 run (Malik kick), 7-6
Y: Campbell 46 run (Weis kick), 13-7
Y: Jones 15 run (kick missed), 19-7

Football Roundup: New Kent Spoils Jamestown Homecoming with Late Special Teams TD