WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.
For the first time in school history, Warhill advanced to the golf state tournament after finishing second during Thursday’s 3A East tournament at Shenandoah Valley Golf Club in Front Royal.
The Lions finished with a combined score of 326, which trailed only New Kent with a 312. Tabb finished fifth with a 350 and York took seventh with a 381.
Warhill had surprise performances from Evan Kerr and Bryce Parker, their usual fifth and sixth players. Kerr and Parker, both of whom had not shot under 80 this season, led the Lions with a 76 and 77, respectively.
Kerr and Parker were named first-team All-Region selections for finishing in the top six places in the tournament.
Rounding out the scorers for Warhill were Blake Sawyer (86) and Peter Conway (87).
For Tabb, Jordan Stetina led the way with an 84, while Robert Tulloss (87), Evan Glass (89) and Thomas Pfifer (90) also scored for the Tigers.
York was paced by James Steele and Tyler Twiggs, both of whom shot 93. James Mollenkamp had an off day, shooting a 97, while Anya Johnson carded a 98.
Warhill will advance to the Group 3A State tournament at Glenrochie Country Club in Abingdon on Oct. 12 and 13.
Below are the individual and team results from the tournament:
Lance Kessler, Brentsville, 73
1. New Kent 312: Ross Kinder 75, Cole Baldwin 76, Parker Wallace 77, Bryce Paige 84
2. Warhill 326: Evan Kerr 76, Bryce Parker 77, Blake Sawyer 86, Peter Conway 87
3. Riverside 337: Shreya Ganta 79, Chad Musa 85, Louie Stathis 85, Colin Nugent 88
4. William Monroe 339: Austin Crenshaw 79, Yancey Harrison 83, Mitchell Batten 86, Drew Tate 91
5. Tabb 350: Jordan Stetina 84, Robert Tulloss 87, Evan Glass 89, Thomas Pfifer 90
6. Spotslyvania 374: Braeden Schmitt 82, Tyler Benton 83, Corbin McWhirt 100, Andrew Balgoyen 109
7. York 381: James Steele 93, Tyler Twiggs 93, James Mollenkamp 97, Anya Johnson 98