WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.
Some Historic Triangle athletes made their first appearances in a collegiate game last week, while others picked up where they left off last season.
Walsingham Academy alumnus Maggie Harris logged more than 175 assists for Methodist University volleyball in the past week, while Tabb alumnus Reilly Maw had three assists in one game for William & Mary.
Each week throughout the school year, Williamsburg Yorktown Daily will keep you up to date on what Historic Triangle athletes and coaches have been up to since leaving their respective high schools.
Know of a college or pro athlete from the Historic Triangle that deserves recognition? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
Week of Aug. 31-Sept. 6
- William & Mary junior Reilly Maw (Tabb) logged three assists during Tribe’s 4-2 victory against the Liberty Flames on Sept. 1. Maw played 67 minutes and also got off five shots during the Tribe’s first win of the season.
- Virginia Wesleyan freshman Jay Fox (Grafton) made his first collegiate appearance during the second half of a 4-0 win against Southern Virginia on Sept. 1. Fox played the entire second half and recorded two saves.
- Christopher Newport senior Sean Christein (Tabb) anchored the Captains’ defense during a 1-0 win against Randolph College on Sept. 1. Christein and his defenders held Randolph College to three total shots and no shots on goal.
- Agnes Scott College freshman Emily Duncan (Williamsburg Christian Academy) had her first career start during a 7-0 loss to Piedmont College on Sept. 1. Duncan took two shots during the game. Duncan also recorded her first career assist during an 11-0 win against Hollins College on Sept. 5.
- William & Mary junior Kurtis Steck (Lafayette) and his teammate Mac Haight took ninth place during the 10k relay during the CNU XC Opener on Sept. 1. Steck and Haight finished the relay in 31:39.60.
- William & Mary senior Ashley Bruce (Grafton) and her teammate Meghan Mulroy finished in 19th place during the 10k relay during the CNU XC Opener on Sept. 1. Bruce and Mulroy finished with a time of 40:38.52.
- Bridgewater College junior Emily Mellman (Jamestown) finished 17th during the Bridgewater Cross Country Challenge. Mellman finished the race in 24:48.
- North Carolina Central freshman Sydney Sumner (York) logged 13 digs and six kills during a Sept. 1 loss to East Carolina. Sumner also added seven digs and two digs during a Sept. 5 loss to Charleston Southern.
- Methodist University sophomore Maggie Harris (Walsingham Academy) had 24 assists, five digs and four kills during a Sept. 1 win against Guilford. Harris continued her hot streak, logging 152 assists over four games during a tournament in Harrisonburg in which Methodist went 3-1.
- Longwood senior Hollie MacDonald (Tabb) scored a goal during a 4-3 loss to Lafayette on Sept. 4.
- University of Virginia junior Macy Peebles (Tabb) logged an assist during a 5-4 win against Rutgers on Sept. 4.
- Virginia Commonwealth University junior Kaylee Maunz (Grafton) recorded an assist during a 3-1 win against Central Michigan on Sept. 4.
- Lynchburg College freshman Kayla Copeman (Bruton) scored a pair of goals to help lead Lynchburg over Stevenson University 2-1 on Sept. 5. The goals mark Copeman’s first of her college career. Click here to see video of the goals.
- Bridgewater sophomore Christina Herbert (Jamestown) took home medalist honors during the Lynn Schweizer Invitational on Sept. 5 and 6. Herbert shot an opening-round par of 71 and a second-round two-over 73. Herbert’s performance helped the Eagles set a two-day program scoring record.
- William & Mary senior Ian Haislip (Tabb) had eight tackles and a tackle for loss during a 34-7 win against Lafayette on Sept. 5.
- Bridgewater senior Nicholas Cawthon (Bruton) had six tackles during a 49-10 loss to Gettysburg on Sept. 4.
In-season athletes followed in this feature:
Aileen Ahlers, MK Harrah, Kaila Atkins, Maddie Vann, MC Evans, Kara Enoch, Kealsie Robles, Kristie Robles, Abby Cryts, Kayla Copeman, Carley Shannon, Alaina Madeline, MacKenzie Zabicki, Lorissa Morton, Alexa Weaver, Kaylee Maunz, Macy Peebles, Jordan Chapman, Elly Chipman, Hollie MacDonald, Clayton Osterloh, Josh Hopingardner, Brendan McGinty, Charley Woollum, Grant Kelchner, DeAndre Kissoon, Antwuan Hicks, Zach Uvodich, Kapri Doucet, Bilal Wallace, Parker Osterloh, Bryce Johnston, Tyrell Noel, Bryan Mitchell, Quincy Mock, DeVonte Dedmon, Daniel Schiele, Colin Moog, John Kindley, Coleman Ingram, Ian Haislip, Nicholas Cawthon, Alex Koon, Sydney Sumner, Jenna Hamra, Monica St. Cyr, Hannah Williams, Lexie Austin, Maggie Harris, Christopher Short, Baron Kieffer, Dawson Connell, Kurtis Steck, Emily Mellman, Rachel Rabbitt, Kyle King, Ashley Bruce, Jeff Wolons, Andrew Maeso, Luke Pfeifer, Denzel Speed, Jay Fox, Cap League, Dan Geyer, Reilly Maw, Sean Christein, Bailey Christian, Catie Slater, Emily Duncan, Paige Majdic, Liz Nickerson, Connor Rinoski, Christina Herbert
If you notice an alumni from the Historic Triangle is missing from this list, please email email@example.com to have the athlete added.