Construction Workers Found Unconscious in JCC Home is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.


Three construction workers had trouble breathing while working with a gas-powered saw in the basement of a James City County home, fire officials said.

Units from the James City County Fire Department arrived to a home on Marstons Lane – off Centerville Road – around 11:45 a.m. Wednesday to find a construction worker outside complaining he had trouble breathing, according to a news release from Assistant Chief Miles Pettengell.

The worker, who had called 911, told emergency personnel two other construction workers were in the basement and had been working with a gas-powered saw.

Firefighters, who entered the home in full gear, found the carbon monoxide readings stood at 1,244 parts per million. A typical carbon monoxide reading should stand in single digits, Pettengell said.

Undergoing a remodel, the basement had no stairwell. Firefighters used a ladder to enter the basement, where they found two construction workers unconscious.

The two men were taken out of the basement with a ladder and rope hoist system. All three construction workers were transported to Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center.

No firefighters were injured during the rescue.

Using the gas-powered saw in an enclosed space is the likely cause of the high carbon monoxide level, but the investigation is ongoing, Pettengell said.