UPDATE: Friday Night Fire Kills Four Dogs, Two Cats in Lanexa Home

WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.

A house on Diascund Road was destroyed by a fire Friday night. (Courtesy James City-Bruton Volunteer Fire Department)
« 1 of 3 »

Update 12:41 p.m. Saturday: The James City County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the fire started accidentally.

The fire began in the rear of the house and was caused by either an electrical outlet or an air conditioner, Apperson said.

The blaze claimed the lives of four dogs and two cats that lived in the house.


Original Post: More than 25 firefighters were needed to tame a fire that consumed a Lanexa home and killed several animals Friday night.

No one was in the home on Diascund Road when the call came in at around 7:34 p.m., said Billy Apperson, a spokesperson with the James City-Bruton Volunteer Fire Department.

Firefighters from York County’s Station One were the first on the scene and were soon joined by the James City County and James City-Bruton Volunteer fire departments, who had the fire under control by 8:28 p.m, Apperson said.

Firefighters are still working to clean up the fire and determine its cause.

Apperson said the single-story, single-family home was “completely destroyed” and several pets are believed to have died in the fire.

Information on the number and type of animals is not available at this time.

The American Red Cross has been called to assist the family.