To subscribe to our daily headlines e-mail, simply add your email below. A confirmation email will be sent to you.

Duo Accused in Seasons Trace Killing Receive Court-Appointed Lawyers

WYDaily.com is your source for free news and information in Williamsburg, James City & York Counties.

Nicole Michelle Houchin (Photo courtesy James City County Police Department)

Nicole Michelle Houchin (Photo courtesy James City County Police Department)

A man and his girlfriend accused of killing the man’s wife, 42-year-old Dana Patterson Mackay, accepted court-appointed lawyers at court hearings Tuesday.

John Wayne Mackay and Nicole Michelle Houchin have each been charged with one count of first-degree murder and one count of conspiracy to commit murder. Dana Mackay was found dead Saturday in her home on the 100 block of Teal Way in the Seasons Trace subdivision in James City County.

John Mackay received Christine Andreoli as his lawyer, and Houchin was appointed George Brooks.

John Wayne Mackay (Photo courtesy Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail)

John Wayne Mackay (Photo courtesy Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail)

John Mackay, a staff sergeant in the U.S. Army who is stationed at Fort Eustis, went before Judge John Fairbanks IV via video in Williamsburg James City County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, where he told the judge he wanted a lawyer appointed to him. When Fairbanks asked him about expenses he faces, he mentioned he pays $900 a month in child support for his two children.

A hearing has been scheduled for John Mackay at 10 a.m. Sept. 13 in Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

Houchin went before Judge Colleen Killilea in Williamsburg James City County District Court. A hearing was set for her at 8:30 a.m. Aug. 22 in District Court. John Mackay is in Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court instead of District Court because Dana Mackay was his wife.

A bond hearing has not yet been scheduled for either John Mackay or Houchin.

The Medical Examiner’s Office in Richmond confirmed the cause of death for Dana Mackay was blunt force trauma to the head. Maj. Stephen Rubino of the James City County Police said in a news release Sunday that police found signs of a struggle inside the home.

Dana Mackay’s body was found Saturday by a neighbor who was following upon a request from an out-of-state relative who had not heard from her.

Related Coverage:

Police: Victim’s Husband, His Girlfriend Charged in Seasons Trace Homicide
JCC Police Investigating Seasons Trace Homicide

RSS
Posted by on July 31, 2013. Filed under Local News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

8 Responses to Duo Accused in Seasons Trace Killing Receive Court-Appointed Lawyers

1. had no idea Reply

December 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I had no idea he was married !

2. carolyn.wilson.7315@facebook.com Reply

August 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm

No one said this murder was justified, just that he asked for a divorce. It’s a heinous crime, and I pray the guilty are prosecuted in a slam dunk case, so the family can be left to mourn.

3. Susan Neilson Reply

July 31, 2013 at 8:50 am

It’s a shame that if things were that bad and the husband wanted out he just did not file for divorce. I am sure that if the wife knew what was
    going to happen she would have agreed to the divorce.

• Tanya Reply

July 31, 2013 at 7:54 pm

She did know, he told her he wanted a divorce because he had cheated on her. Half the neighborhood knew about their marital affairs.

• Kathy Reply

July 31, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Are u seriously trying to justify him killing his wife. He could have filed himself even if she didn’t want to. He should get the death penalty and so should his girlfriend.

• Phil Reply

August 1, 2013 at 11:01 am

My guess is Houchin will get tried for capital murder and a jury will send her to death row.

• dean Reply

August 3, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I knew Dana. She was a very kind, loving and generous person. I can’t think of anything negative anyone has ever said about her. Ever. And she certainly wasn’t the type of person to “throw things back in peoples faces”, like some things I’ve read and other people would lead you to believe. This was a very calculated and cold blooded murder. No ifs ands or butts about it! I could think of 10 other cowardly acts that could have been chosen off the top of my head, and none of them involve murder. In my opinion, they both need to go to death row. Not because I believe in “an eye for an eye” but because I don’t believe Mackay is sorry for what happened to Dana. He plotted this senseless and cruel act with his mistress. If he’s feeling bad about anything, its getting caught. Both sociopaths too. So I doubt they are feeling any true remorse for what they did. The only thing I can think of that might get through to them is if they themselves have to face their own mortality. To feel some fear for their lives. Though death by needle is a much more humane way to go than Dana did. Hopefully, once the shock has worn off, and everyone has a chance to come to terms and grieve for the VICTIM, no one will remember those two. But there is no doubt, Dana will be remembered for years to come. She truly, truly was a wonderful person. And I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again, she had a heart of gold. RIP Dana! You were loved and cherished by many. You’re dancing in heaven!

• Lisa Reply

August 4, 2013 at 12:51 am

what do you mean “their” marital affairs? Are you implying that Dana was cheating as well? I didn’t personally know any of them but I have seen internet comments that said that Nicole’s husband was cheating on her and had his own mistress.

I do feel so bad for Dana that her life had to end in the horrible way it did.

I do think they should both get the death penalty for this.